Heroin-related tragedies are all around the suburbs. Among them:
• Three people - Maple Park residents Jordan Billek, 18, Nathan Green, 22, and St. Charles resident Lindsey Parker, 23 - face criminal charges in connection with the Dec. 2007 death of Michael York, 17, of Elburn. After York overdosed on heroin at a party in St. Charles, the three are accused of dumping his body in a snow-filled alley on Chicago's West Side.
• Andrew Hall, 22, of Arizona, was sentenced to four years in prison, and Thomas Young, 22, of Prospect Heights, received 24 months probation, for their roles in the death of Gina Dominick, 20, of Mount Prospect. After Dominick overdosed in 2008, using heroin provided to her by Hall, Young left her body in a car in the Prospect Heights Library parking lot.
• Elgin and South Elgin police did an undercover sting in June, and arrested five drug dealers in 24 hours.
• McHenry County resident Wade R. Smith, 41, was sentenced to 14 years in jail Nov. 10 for supplying his 30-year-old nephew with the heroin that he overdosed on.
• Volo resident Sean Campbell, 22, pleaded guilty in October to charges that he provided the heroin that led to the overdose death of a 19-year-old Lake Zurich woman.
• Elmhurst Police recovered 21 bags of heroin during a bust Sept. 29.
• Ingleside resident Carissa Allred, 22, was arrested in September after police said she took her infant children with her while making a heroin delivery in Round Lake Beach.
• In April, Congressman Mark Kirk reported that 31 people in the suburbs have died from taking unusually strong heroin tracked to Mexican drug cartels.
• In March, Aurora Police charged three men - Aurora residents Ryan J. Faber, 25, and Christopher D. Parker, 22, and Sandwich resident Kyle B. Hayes, 20 - in connection with the heroin overdose of an 18-year-old Joliet woman.