- » Smoothing over breakfast
- » You say tomato, we say delicious
- » Go big on carrots
- » Break the rules with Greek Vegetable Soup
- » Make these BLTs ASAP
- » Israeli couscous puts new spin on staple
- » Entertain during the dog days of summer
- » Margarita Salad adds summer crunch
- » Pesto makes pasta perfect
- » Pesto's value immeasurable
- » One simple tool makes cherry tart easy
- » Feed friends with Shrimp Pasta Salad
- » Don't cry: Dinner will be sweet
- » Father's Day means oven barbecue
- » On a roll with pizza dough
- More from Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross
If you're going to have an all-American July 4, we would like to suggest you throw in a little geographic diversity. We figure lots of people will be grilling for the Fourth, and more than likely, big hunks of all-American meat will find their way to the fire. Today's rice pilaf is inspired by a Guatemalan recipe that Alicia's girls ate daily when they visited Antigua, Guatemala, several years ago.
We have turned to Guatemalan-Style Rice so many times when we've needed that extra something added to our starchy side. It pairs well with just about any type of protein. It's a heady mix of vegetables with some chicken broth to round things out, but for a purely vegetarian celebration, vegetable broth is also delicious. (Black beans scream for the starring role here.)
If you happen to prefer to keep things on a classic Fourth of July American theme, check out Mrs. McDaniel's Potato Salad on our website at KitchenScoop.com.
A nice medley of red-ripe tomatoes will round out your feast. And what about an ice-cream sundae for dessert? Sounds like a celebration!
Suggested menu: Guatemalan-Style Rice with grilled meat of choice and sliced tomatoes.
• Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross are co-authors of "Desperation Dinners!" Write them at Desperation Dinners, c/o United Media, 200 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10016, or firstname.lastname@example.org. More at kitchenscoop.com.