A small dog that became wedged in its owner's mechanized recliner was freed by Naperville firefighters using a saw to cut the chair apart.
Firefighter/Paramedic Scott Bolda said the dog was not hurt by the chair, but suggested it be taken to a veterinarian as a precaution. He's unsure if the dog was treated after it was freed late Thursday.
Firefighters were called to the Sunrise of Naperville assisted living center at 960 E. Chicago Ave. just after 8 p.m. The fire station is located next door to the facility. Bolda said the dog didn't appear to be in pain when firefighters arrived on scene. A nurse's aide was relieving some of the pressure from the chair to help the dog breathe, he said.
Bolda said the chair's electrical controls stopped working when the dog became wedged, so the only option left was to saw the chair apart.
"It took about five minutes to get him free," Bolda said. "We've never had to rescue a dog like that before."