Talk about unfair: Linda Ellerbee goes up against Oscar night on Sunday.
Robert Hays spoofs "Saturday Night Fever" in Airplane!"
- » WFMT starts show devoted to chamber music
- » Girls-only 'School of Rock' on PBS
- » Wooden features in HBO presentation
- » Bill Maher is back for 8th season
- » You haven't seen a Spartacus like this one
- » TV3: Jack's back for his 8th day
- » ABC7's got 'Soul', Rufus Wainwright opera
- » WGN organizing Drive-Thru Toy Drive
- » Museum looks at making of WGN doc
- » 'Monsters and Money' on CH. 2 mornings
- » Rock Hall of Fame Concert set for HBO
- » CSN airs Ben Wilson doc, Mag Mile lights
- » Minds behind 'ATHF' at Lakeshore Theater
- » TV3: TCM salutes Grace Kelly
- » Dylan lets it flow at first of three shows
- More from Ted Cox
Calling all 'Losers'
The NBC reality competition series "The Biggest Loser" comes to Chicago looking for contestants in an open casting call from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 6, at NBC Tower, 454 N. Columbus Drive, Chicago. Aspirants must be 18 and legal U.S. citizens, and should bring along a photo, whether entering as an individual or a pair. They're also asked not to line up beforehand.
A Magic rivalry
HBO Sports looks at one of the most intense, but also most sporting rivalries in basketball history in the documentary "Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals," of course examining the back-and-forth competition between Earvin Johnson and Larry Bird. It debuts at 7 p.m. Saturday, March 6, on the premium-cable channel.
"Nick News With Linda Ellerbee" goes up against the Oscars with the new special "Cheaters Never Win: True or False?" debuting at 7 p.m. Sunday, March 7, on Nickelodeon. One teenager cogently asks, "We have politicians that have cheated, and look where they are today?"
The 1980 disaster-movie sendup "Airplane!" was one of the first of a new breed of film lampoons, but 30 years later it remains one of the best of the bunch. Robert Hays heads an all-star cast of B-movie actors in the satire, which savages everything from "Airport" to "Saturday Night Fever" and beyond. Its cheap yuks still entertain at 9 p.m. today on Turner Classic Movies.