Jobs Homes Autos For Sale

Hawthorne cancels racing for Wednesday, Thursday
By Ron Uchman | Hawthorne Race Course
print story
email story
Published: 12/8/2009 12:56 PM

Send To:





In response to a severe winter storm advisory for Wednesday and Thursday, there will be no live racing or training on either day at Hawthorne Race Course.

On Wednesday, snowfall is forecast between two and four inches, but heavy winds that may gust to over 50 mph could create dangerous racing conditions. On Thursday, the forecast high is only in the teens with wind chills not expected to surpass zero degrees.

Hawthorne will remain open for simulcasting on both days and racing and training is expected to return on Friday with a 1:20 p.m. first post.

"It is always tough to call off training and races prior to weather arriving," said Jim Miller, Hawthorne assistant general nanager. "My concern is that the high winds and snow will create dangerous conditions for our jockeys and horses. Additionally, the cold temperatures on Thursday could cause the track to freeze if we allow too much moisture to mix into the racing surface.

"By canceling now, all of our races on Wednesday and Thursday can be brought back as extras immediately, no horses have to be treated with Lasix and not run, and those shipping from other tracks and avoid rough travel," Miller added. "We can keep the moisture on the top of the surface and allow our track crew to remove it properly while maintaining the good racing surface.

"We will add races beginning with Saturday's card and I expect us to make up all of those races that are cancelled," Miller said.