Jobs Homes Autos For Sale










Mundelein man admits molesting girls
By Tony Gordon | Daily Herald Staff
print story
email story
Published: 7/24/2009 4:03 PM

Send To:

E-mail:
To:

From:

Name:
E-mail:

Comments:

A Mundelein man faces up to 45 years in prison after admitting Friday he molested four young girls.

Raul Cortez-Melo, 31, pleaded guilty to predatory sexual assault of a child, criminal sexual assault and criminal sexual abuse.

Lake County Assistant State's Attorney Jim Newman said Cortez-Melo, of the 400 block of Whittier Lane, was arrested Nov. 6 after an investigation by Mundelein police.

Police were called after one victim told a counselor at her school that she had been molested by the man on multiple occasions. The girl led police to other victims, and it was eventually determined Cortez-Melo had engaged in sexual activity with four girls, all between the ages of 11 and 16.

The attacks took place between January 2003 and Cortez-Melo's arrest, Newman said.

During questioning by police, Cortez-Melo admitted molesting the girls, Newman said, and he was eventually charged with 28 criminal counts.

All but six counts were dropped in exchange for Cortez-Melo's guilty plea, Newman said, as a result of a negotiation designed to spare the victims the trauma of testifying in court.

Cortez-Melo will receive a sentence of 18 to 45 years in prison when he returns to court Sept. 1.

Circuit Judge John Phillips revoked Cortez-Melo's $750,000 bond and told him that, as a citizen of Mexico, he is likely to face deportation once his prison term is complete.