Jobs Homes Autos For Sale

Man who killed self in Chicago standoff identified as fugitive
By Charles Keeshan and Nadia Malik | Daily Herald Staff

A Chicago police officer stands near a building where a man believed to be Tyler Martin was holding police at bay. Polcie later found the man dead from a self-inflicted gunshot.


ABC 7 Chicago

Chicago police surround at building where a man believed to be Colorado murder suspect Tyler Martin was holding police at bay.


ABC 7 Chicago

Tyler James Martin


Police officers set up around a building where a man suspected in a Colorado murder was holed up.


ABC 7 Chicago

 1 of 4 
print story
email story
Published: 2/20/2009 8:21 PM | Updated: 2/21/2009 5:51 PM

Send To:





The Cook County Medical Examiner confirmed Saturday that Colorado murder suspect Tyler Martin was the man who died of a self-inflicted gunshot Friday during a standoff with Chicago police.

Martin, a former McHenry County resident, was found dead in a home in the 2300 block of North Kimball after he barricaded himself inside and held officers at bay for about three hours.

Three weapons were found alongside him, police said.

The medical examiner declared the death a suicide caused by a gunshot wound to the head.

Martin, 36, had been wanted since Tuesday when, according to authorities, he shot and killed ex-girlfriend Amber Kathleen Cremeens, 34, in Wheat Ridge, Colo.

Wheat Ridge police said Martin, formerly of Wonder Lake, used a vehicle to drive Cremeens' car off the road, then approached her vehicle and shot her at close range. The couple had moved together to Colorado from McHenry County, where they began dating about eight years ago, authorities said.

Earlier this week, McHenry County Sheriff's police issued a warning to residents indicating Martin was wanted for murder and believed to be heading to McHenry County where he still has family and friends.

About 4:30 p.m. Friday, Chicago police spotted a vehicle believed to be Martin's near Dickens and Spaulding avenues in the city's Logan Square neighborhood and tried to make a traffic stop.

Martin, police said, fled on foot and barricaded himself inside the vestibule of a home believed to be owned by a family member.

SWAT personnel and police negotiators responded and attempted to get Martin to surrender. But about three hours into the standoff, police heard a shot fired and entered the residence, finding Martin unresponsive with a gunshot wound.