Gov. Pat Quinn, a Hinsdale native and tax attorney, needs the suburbs and their future now partially rests with him. Here is a closer look:
What Quinn means for the suburbs
• Opposed toll increases and called for the tollway board to be elected instead of appointed by the governor.
• Supports a massive public works plan that will likely lead to road and transit construction in the Collar Counties.
• Opposed expansion of O'Hare International Airport in the past.
• Backed tax cap reform
What the suburbs mean to Quinn-
• Assuming Quinn faces a Democrat in a primary tied to the Chicago political machine, he will need to win the suburbs by healthy margins in 2010.
• The suburbs provide a huge chunk of the state's jobs and tax dollars. The success of his tenure will depend on the economic success of the towns ringing Chicago.